The Computer Industry Needs You! 10 Reasons for Women to Get into IT
If you look at some of the top figures in IT, you will think of Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak from Apple, Bill Gates at Microsoft, Larry Page at Google and of course Mark Zuckerberg from Facebook.
However, you’ll notice straight away that this list doesn’t include any women.
In the IT industry, there is currently a huge gender imbalance. In fact, in 2013, just 20% of those working within the IT sector were women. So why is this the case?
In the past, technology jobs have been primarily male dominated, with a view that men sit alone on their computer in their garages. Although this may actually have been the case in the early days of computing, IT has come a long way since then, with it now providing an interesting and fulfilling career path for both men and women.
From companies, there is now an urgent need for women to pursue a technology path and so it’s important you don’t hold back. Take a quick look at these top 10 reasons why you should get into the IT industry:
- Use your skills - For many years, it was assumed that men were better at IT than women, however, that’s just not true. In a recent report, it was revealed that girls constantly out-perform boys during computing and IT A levels. We know women have the talent and so don’t be afraid to use your skills to pursue a career in IT.
- Work with the best – There are some incredible things happening in the IT world and so you could work alongside and learn from some extraordinary people.
- Be constantly challenged – Working in IT is not always easy, but if you like to have a challenge then the IT industry is definitely for you.
- See your role evolve – The computer industry is constantly growing and developing and so who knows what you’ll be working on in 5 years time. However, what we do know is that this makes it a very exciting industry to work within. Plus, if you add women into the mix, this will add competitiveness into the industry, helping technology to develop even faster.
- Make an impact –Working in the IT industry is your chance to be creative and innovative, as well as to add your stamp on the world. Wouldn’t it be great to play a part in developing the next big technology trend which influences the way people live and work?
- Be satisfied – Because you will be constantly challenged and your role will evolve with technology, the IT industry has very high job satisfaction rates. Who wouldn’t be excited to get up for work in the morning when you can be working on some incredible technology?
- Excellent job opportunities – Regardless of where you are located, there are an increasing number of IT jobs available, with this set to continue into the future. With a job in IT, who knows where one job might lead to? Plus, with technology companies all over the world, there may even be opportunities to travel abroad!
- Add to your team – Women often work and think in different ways to men. This can be a huge benefit in a team, bringing different qualities and viewpoints to the table. This can help drive innovation for better products and services too.
- It’s cool – Although in the past the perception was that IT was for geeks, with the likes of Will.i.am and Mark Zuckerberg standing up and talking about their love of coding, the industry perception is gradually changing. It’s now a great time to become a coding developer!
- Be a role model – Take the first step and be a role model for other women in IT. You never know, you could be the next Martha Lane Fox, the co-founder of Lastminute.com, who’s gone on to work with Channel 4, mydeco.com as well as Marks and Spencer to name a few!
If you have the IT skills and desire, you can achieve anything, so don’t be put off! Although there is currently a disproportion between men and women, the IT industry is in need for professional women with a huge range of computer technology jobs available. So, for help finding your perfect IT job, whether you’re interested in computer engineering, becoming a software developer or something else completely, Computer Futures can help. Simply click here to start your search.